Rarities Are Like Buses!

Juvenile Red-necked Phalarope, Titchwell
 
 
I had delayed publishing this post as I had wanted to show photographs of the outstanding Pallas' Grasshopper Warbler and Arctic Warbler. Huh! I should have known better. The "PG Tips" was so elusive they should rename it the Scarlet Pimpernel Warbler! Over two days I think I had 5 seconds of viewing. Bad enough you might think. Ha! While trying to photograph the Arctic Warbler my camera battery ran out of juice. Nice bird though. I hope the other photographers are very happy. Not.
The lack of camera also meant no shots of the Rose-coloured Starling at Heacham. Another smart bird despite being a juvenile.
Still, at least I did see them. On the flip side, the juvenile Red-necked Phalarope was so close it was almost in the hide with us. So not a bad couple of days, add to the list Great White Egret, Spoonbill, Hobbies, 2x Yellow-browed Warblers, Redstart and Purple Sandpiper.




Red-necked Phalarope, Titchwell
 

Male Redstart, Thornham
 
Bar-tailed Godwit, Thornham
 
Spotted Redshank, Thornham
 

 
This hungry, adult, Hobby took the unfortunate Dunlin straight off the mud flat. Rare excitement on a dull afternoon Pallas' Gropper "watching". Burnham Overy Staithe.
 
For those poor souls who did not see the Pallas' Grasshopper Warbler the photo below is for you. This is what one looks like...
1st winter Pallas' Grasshopper Warbler in the safe hands of Roger Riddington, Fair Isle, October 1988. [from the "Lost Geordie Files"]


Comments

Translate