23rd Sept 16 Lost Geordie on Tour. Saltholme & Blackhall

Stonechat, Blackhall
 
Day 1 of the tour. I didn't even leave King's Lynn until 11am. The traffic for the next 200+ miles was a mind numbing, nose to tail, mess that barely got over 40mph.
Very little birding on route except the obvious Woodpigeons and Buzzards. The first stop was at Saltholme. I didn't enter the reserve as it was soon to close so I had a good look from the road. The main target was a Pectoral Sandpiper which showed distantly on Back Saltholme. Good numbers of Wigeon and a few waders including a juvenile Curlew Sandpiper, Ruff and Black-tailed Godwits.
I then drove to the small coastal village of Blackhall to look for a reported Yellow-browed Warbler and failed dramatically. I failed so well that I couldn't even find the bush it was supposed to be in. That is, not until I drove past the damned thing on the way out the car park. Too dark by then so headed to Blyth for some real home cooking.
Before heading off I had a Reed Warbler, 6 Chiffchaffs, European Stonechat and Reed Bunting. Offshore the best birds were a flock of Common Scoter with 3 Velvet Scoters in them. Black-throated Diver was also seen.

Reed Bunting Blackhall


Comments

Translate