Lost Geordie On Tour - Scotland May 2016 (2)

Barn Owl, Cresswell Pond
 
After an overnight stay at my parents in Blyth, I pressed on toward the Cairngorms. I had stops planned at Cresswell, Skateraw and a few others but today was mainly travelling.
I did look for the female Red-backed Shrike at Woodhorn but it had vanished overnight. Lynemouth Flash had 2 or 3 White Wagtails and little else.
White Wagtail, Lynemouth Flash

Cresswell pond has a locally famous pair of Barn Owls which attracts the attention of local "paparazzi". So much so that the police have become involved. I hasten to add that my photographs were taken from the carpark, from inside my car.
Aside from the Barn Owl, Cresswell also gave up a 1st Summer Little Gull,  Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler and Avocet.
 
 
Undisturbed Barn Owl, Cresswell Pond
 
A flooded field North of Hemscott Hill had a pair of Little Ringed Plovers. The Budge screen at Druridge Pools offered Garganey, Stonechat and great views of the Heron / Egret roost.
The stop at Skateraw, by Torness power station, didn't give any of the expected migrants, just Gannet, Kittiwake, and a Swallow  with a death wish!

Sparrowhawk and Swallow
 
I arrived at the Rothiemurchus camp site, situated inside the forest, in the late afternoon. I put the tent up to the sound of Common Crossbills, Siskins and Treecreepers. Afterwards I reacquainted myself with Loch Morlich and Cairngorm. The Osprey nest at Moormore was occupied again and the Loch held several pairs of Goldeneye. The top carpark on Cairngorm produced Ring Ouzel, Northern Wheatear and Red Grouse.
I put out the moth trap at the campsite but only got 6 moths of  3 species. I caught 5 of the moths with the net! The result was 2 Early Thorn, 3 Streamers and a Hebrew Character.

Treecreeper, Rothiemurchus campsite
 Cairngorm
 Carn Eilrig




Comments

Translate